YouTube Pay Content Terms of Service
Effective as of May 9, 2013
YouTube allows you to view certain video content hosted on YouTube and made available by third parties ("Pay Content") for a fee by streaming or downloading (as applicable) that content through YouTube for a specified price (the "Service"). The Service includes YouTube video rentals, purchases and subscriptions and any other YouTube service or feature that makes such Pay Content available to you via YouTube. Your transactions and any other use of the Service and Pay Content are subject to these YouTube Pay Content Terms of Service ("Pay Content Terms").
1. Your Acceptance
By using the Service, you signify your agreement to (1) these Pay Content Terms; and (2) YouTube's Terms of Service, Privacy Notice, and Community Guidelines applicable to your geographic location, and all other terms and conditions that generally apply to the YouTube website. Nexus Tablet Users are subject to the following additional terms. We’ll refer to these documents together as the "Terms". Please read the Terms carefully. If you do not understand the Terms, or do not accept any part of them, then you may not use the Service or purchase Pay Content. Each time you purchase Pay Content (including when you purchase a subscription), you enter into a separate contract for services on these Terms. When you complete a purchase, you signify that you wish to enter into a binding contract for the provision of the Pay Content.
2. Payment, Refund and Cancellation Policy
Payment: YouTube accepts payment via the current payment method indicated prior to purchase, which may include Google Wallet and any other form of payment that we make available to you from time to time. You must have a valid accepted form of payment on file in order to purchase or rent Pay Content (even if temporarily offered for no fee), subscribe to any Pay Content, or participate in free trial offers. You agree to abide by any relevant Terms of Service or other legal agreement (including without limitation the Google Wallet Terms of Service), whether with YouTube, Google or a third party, that governs your use of a given payment processing method. Prices for Pay Content offered through the Service may change at any time, and YouTube does not provide price protection or refunds in the event of a price reduction or promotional offering. You agree to pay for any Pay Content that you order through the Service. YouTube will charge the price listed on the Service for ordered Pay Content to your credit card or other form of payment, along with any additional amounts relating to applicable taxes, bank fees and currency fluctuations. If you purchase any automatically renewing subscriptions, you agree that YouTube (i) will charge the payment method on file on the first day of each billing period for the relevant subscription and (ii) if the payment method on file becomes invalid due to an expired credit card or other similar reason and we are unable to charge you on the next billing period, YouTube reserves the right to immediately revoke access your access to the Pay Content until you update your payment method, and additionally, cancel your subscription if you fail to provide a valid payment method in the first 7 days of the billing period.
Refunds: You can cancel your purchase of an item of Pay Content and get a refund as long as you have not started viewing the Pay Content and you make your request within 7 working days of the day after you place your order. Requests for refunds must be directed to our customer support team by clicking "Help" next to the relevant purchase on your Purchases page or by contacting the customer support team here. We reserve the right to approve or deny refund requests after 7 working days at our sole discretion, except where the Pay Content and/or Service is defective.
Subscription Cancellations: If you purchase a subscription to Pay Content that automatically renews, you may cancel the subscription any time before the end of the current billing period and the cancellation will take effect on the next billing period. You will retain access to the Pay Content from the time you cancel until the start of the next billing period, and will not receive a refund or credit for any remaining days in your current billing period.
Free Trials: YouTube may from time to time offer free trials to new Pay Content subscribers. If you purchase a subscription to Pay Content that includes a free trial, you will receive free access to such Pay Content for the duration of the free trial period. At the end of the applicable free trial period, you will be charged the price of the subscription and will continue to be charged until you cancel your subscription. To avoid any charges, you must cancel before the end of the free trial period. Once you cancel your trial, you will immediately lose access to any subscription privileges.
To watch any item of Pay Content on the Service, you will need to use a device that meets the system and compatibility requirements for such Service, which may change from time to time. For further information on supported devices and technical requirements, visit our Help Center.
Rentals and Purchases: When you order an item of Pay Content through the Service, you may either (i) rent the Pay Content for viewing an unlimited number of times during the period of time specified on the transaction page displayed at the time of your payment ("Viewing Period") and noted in your confirmation email ("Rental Pay Content") or (ii) purchase the Pay Content for storage in a digital locker and for viewing an unlimited number of times ("Locker Pay Content") as long as YouTube has the necessary rights to provide you that Pay Content ("Locker Period"). Pay Content, even Pay Content previously purchased by you, may become unavailable due to restrictions from our partners who license us the Pay Content or other legal or policy reasons ("Content Licensing Restrictions").
Pay Content may only be viewed in the territory where you purchased the Pay Content. You may view Pay Content when (1) online, with a broadband connection and logged onto your YouTube or Google account or (2) offline by downloading and viewing from a previously authorized device. You must be online to authorize and de-authorize a device for viewing Pay Content. For further information on how to view Paid Content offline on authorized devices please see here.
Rental Pay Content: Pausing, stopping, or rewinding an item of Rental Pay Content will not extend your applicable Viewing Period for that Rental Pay Content. Each item of Rental Pay Content may have a different Viewing Period and you agree to review the Viewing Period before you order it. For each item of purchased Rental Pay Content, you agree to watch such Rental Pay Content on only one device at a time (either online or an authorized offline device).
Locker Pay Content. The Locker Period will be for at least 5 years from the date of your purchase, unless it becomes unavailable due to Content Licensing Restrictions. Each item of Locker Pay Content may have a different Locker Period and you agree to the Locker Period before you order it. If an item of Pay Content becomes unavailable during the five year period from the purchase date, you may request a refund in accordance with Section 6 (Changes) below.
Pausing, stopping, or rewinding an item of Locker Pay Content will not extend the Locker Period.
For Locker Pay Content, (1) you may view only one stream of each item of Locker Pay Content at a time, (2) you may view up to 3 streams of Locker Pay Content from your locker at a time, (3) you may authorize up to 5 devices for offline playback of Locker Pay Content at a time and to authorize additional devices, you must deauthorize one of those 5 devices, (4) you may only authorize the same device twice every 12 months, and (5) you may only authorize a total of 2 devices for offline playback every 90 days.
Subscriptions: Viewing Pay Content you rent or purchase differs from viewing Pay Content on a subscription basis. When you purchase a subscription to Pay Content through the Service, you will have access to stream any Pay Content currently available within that subscription an unlimited number of times. Our partners may decide to periodically update the Pay Content they make available in the subscription, and some items of Pay Content may either become unavailable or be made available for free when this happens. You may only view Pay Content within a subscription when you are online, with a broadband connection and logged into your YouTube or Google account, and will not be able to access the Pay Content offline or from a digital locker. Typically, you will only be able to view Pay Content within the territory where you purchased the subscription, but in some cases you may be able to view it in other territories where the Pay Content provider has authorized viewing.
You may watch an ordered item of Pay Content only for personal, non-commercial use. You agree not to display Pay Content in whole or in part for any public presentation even if no fee is charged (except where such use would not constitute a copyright infringement). You are receiving a non-exclusive license to view the Pay Content and all rights, title and interest in the Service and Pay Content not expressly granted to you in these Terms are reserved by YouTube and its licensors. If YouTube reasonably determines that you violated any of the terms and conditions of the Pay Content Terms, your rights under this Section 4 will immediately terminate and YouTube may terminate your access to the Service and/or your YouTube account without notice and without refund to you.
When you use the Service, you may not (or attempt to):
- use the Pay Content in an illegal manner or for an illegal purpose;
- share your YouTube account password with someone else to allow them to view an item of Pay Content that such person did not order;
- copy, sell, rent, or sublicense the Pay Content to any third party;
- circumvent, reverse-engineer, modify, disable, or otherwise tamper with any security technology that YouTube uses to protect the Pay Content or encourage or help anyone else to do so;
- access the Pay Content other than by means authorized by YouTube; or
- remove any proprietary notices or labels on Pay Content.
YouTube reserves the right to change the availability of Pay Content without notice. In certain rare circumstances, a third party licensor to YouTube may even force us to make an item of Pay Content unavailable for viewing prior to or even following an order by you during the period you have to view the content due to copyright disputes or other reasons. For rentals and purchases, if this happens during your Viewing Period or the first five years of your Locker Period, you may request either a refund of the price paid for the unavailable Pay Content or a reasonable replacement for such otherwise unavailable Pay Content. In such circumstances, please contact our customer support team.
In addition, we reserve the right to modify, suspend, or discontinue the Service with or without notice to you and we will not be liable to you or any third party for any such modifications, suspension, or termination. However, this will not affect your ability to request a refund as described in the paragraph above.
We may also change these Pay Content Terms from time to time so we encourage you to periodically review the most up-to-date version at http://www.youtube.com/terms_paycontent. If the Pay Content Terms change, you will have the opportunity to review the new terms when you next purchase any Pay Content. By completing the purchase, you signify your agreement to the new Pay Content Terms, and further, that they will apply to your use of the Service as a whole (including Pay Content you have purchased in the past) and all subsequent purchases (until the Pay Content Terms change again). If you refuse to accept the updated Pay Content Terms then you may not buy any further Pay Content through the Service and the latest version of the Pay Content Terms that you accepted will continue to apply to your use of previously purchased Pay Content.
7. Other Terms
- You acknowledge and agree that certain Pay Content available on the Service may be considered offensive to some people and that such content may not be labeled as such and that descriptions of Pay Content are not guaranteed to be accurate. You agree to use the Service at your own risk and, subject to applicable laws, YouTube will have no liability to you for any content that you find offensive.
The Service is being provided by Google Inc., reachable via mail at:
Attn: YouTube Pay Content
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043
via email online form
Complaints and/or feedback about your Pay Content experience may be sent to the address above or provided online as described above. You may also contact our customer support team by clicking "Help" next to the relevant purchase on your Purchases page or by contacting the team.
- You agree that you are solely responsible for (and that YouTube has no responsibility to you for) your use of the Service or any Pay Content, any breach of your obligations under the Pay Content Terms, and for the consequences (including loss or damage of any kind which YouTube may suffer) of any such breach.
- You acknowledge and agree that you are responsible for paying all fees in a timely manner and for providing us with a valid credit card or other form of payment acceptable to YouTube. IN ADDITION, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOUR ONLINE ACCEPTANCES CONSTITUTE A BINDING AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU AND YOUTUBE AND SIGNIFY YOUR INTENT TO BE BOUND TO SUCH ONLINE ACCEPTANCES.
- SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE LAWS, IN NO EVENT WILL YOUTUBE OR ITS AFFILIATES' AGGREGATE LIABILITY FOR ANY AND ALL CAUSES OF ACTION BROUGHT BY YOU OR YOUR AGENTS ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THE SERVICES EXCEED THE PAYMENTS ACTUALLY RECEIVED AND RETAINED BY YOUTUBE FROM YOU FOR THE SERVICES.
- Unless not permitted by applicable law, You acknowledge and agree that that if you are located in North America, these Pay Content Terms, your transaction for the Pay Content, your relationship with YouTube under these Pay Content Terms shall be governed by the laws of the State of California, U.S.A., without respect to its conflict of laws principles, any claim or dispute that arises in whole or in part from your use of the YouTube Website and the Service will be decided exclusively by a court of competent jurisdiction located in Santa Clara County, California, U.S.A.
- You acknowledge and agree that if you are located in North America or Latin America (e.g., Mexico, Brazil), your transaction for the Pay Content is with Google Inc., and unless not permitted by applicable law, your relationship shall be governed by the laws of the State of California, U.S.A., without respect to its conflict of laws principles, and any claim or dispute that arises in whole or in part from your use of the YouTube Website and the Service will be decided exclusively by a court of competent jurisdiction located in Santa Clara County, California, U.S.A. If you are located elsewhere your transaction for the Pay Content is with Google Ireland.